7 Cost Effective Home Improvements You Can Do To Help Increase The Value Of Your Home
People ask me all the time, “What makes my neighbors house worth more than mine?” or “How can I improve the value of my house without breaking the bank?” To help spread awareness, I am answering those age-old questions. Here are 7 fairly simple and inexpensive home improvements you can do to increase the value of your home.
- LANDSCAPE YOUR YARD. This is so simple yet so often overlooked. Prune those rose bushes, clean up those tree branches, and make sure you have the greenest grass on the street. Landscaping is one of the least expensive home improvements you can do but it has a BIG return.
- UPGRADE YOUR LIGHTING. Install dimmer switches on your lights or install a skylight or a sun tube. Maybe even considering installing an eye-catching chandelier.
- PAINT THE WALLS. Accent walls can make a space appear larger and paint is a relatively inexpensive way to update your home. Pick a fresh, modern color to wow potential buyers.
- MAKE THOSE REPAIRS. Fix that leaky roof, clean those gutters, patch any holes in walls that have gone overlooked and repair corroded pipes. Keeping a well maintained home is extremely important, these details show a potential buyer that the previous owner has taken care of their home and this can influence it’s price.
- GO GREEN. Make some environmentally friendly upgrades! Install energy efficient appliances in your kitchen or if your heating and air conditioning systems are older consider upgrading them to newer, more environmentally friendly versions.
- BE SURE YOUR FRONT DOOR LOOKS GOOD. Your front door is quite literally, your home’s first impression. Simple things like making sure the doorbell works, or that your front door has an overhang to shield you from the rain while you fumble for your keys can go a long way.
- TAKE CARE OF YOUR FLOORS. If you have carpet get it steam cleaned (or replace it all together if a good steam won’t do the trick), replace vinyl flooring with tile or wood, or if you already have tile or wood: repair squeaky floor boards or re-grout the tile, and while we are on the top of grout- make sure it is cleaned or replaced in the bathrooms as well!
- PLANT DROUGHT RESISTANT PLANTS. California is in a massive drought right now which can make watering your plants expensive. A more environmentally friendly option is to landscape your yard with drought resistant plants that will thrive with very little water.